VNUS Closure® Procedure For Varicose Veins
This new 'key-hole' alternative to traditional Surgical vein
stripping involves heating and closing the vein from within,
using radiofrequency energy. This is usually performed whilst you
are awake under local anaesthetic on a walk in walk out basis,
although it can also be performed under general anaesthetic. Your
consultant will discuss the options with you at your
Before the procedure the consultant will use an ultrasound
machine to scan and mark the position of the end of the vein in the
groin. You will then enter the treatment room or operating theatre
and local anaesthetic injected. A special catheter is then inserted
into the vein through a small 2-3mm cut just below the knee.
Once positioned, radiofrequency energy is gently delivered to
seal and shut the faulty vein. A small dressing is applied, along
with a special compression stocking which you will need to wear for
the next 7 to 10 days. Following this procedure most people have an
instant relief of symptoms.
The VNUS Closure® procedure generally takes around 30 – 40
minutes, and following this you will normally be free to leave
after in as little as an hour. Your consultant will discuss this
with you at your consultation.
The benefits of VNUS Closure® Procedure over more traditional
surgical stripping approach are believed to be;
- Minimal need to take any pain relief medication following the
- Less bruising and discomfort
- You will generally be back to normal activities within a
- Key-hole technique - there are no incisions in the groin
- Shorter stay in Hospital & can be performed without a
The benefits of The VNUS Closure® procedure over endovenous
laser treatment are believed to be;
- Minimal pain and bruising due to more gentle vein heating
- Reduced requirement for pain killers.
- Faster return to normal activities
However The VNUS Closure® Procedure is not appropriate for all
patients or performed in all Vive Life Care Hospitals.