Mr Amitabh Dwyer is a Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon who specialises in Upper Limb (Shoulder and Elbow) surgery
• The painful shoulder
• Shoulder arthroscopy
• Arthroscopic rotator cuff (tendon) repair
• Arthroscopic subacromial decompression
• Arthroscopic capsular release for frozen shoulder
• Arthroscopic acromio-clavicular joint excision
• Arthroscopic proximal biceps tenodesis
• Arthroscopic superior labral (SLAP) repair
• Arthroscopic shoulder stabilisation surgery
• Acromioclavicular joint reconstruction
• Resurfacing & anatomical total shoulder replacements
• Reverse geometry total shoulder replacement
• Carpal tunnel surgery
• Trigger finger release
• Dupuytren’s contracture surgery
• Cubital tunnel release and anterior transposition of ulnar nerve
• Outerbridge Kashiwagi procedure for arthritis of elbow
• Tennis & Golfer’s Elbow
In 2013, Hinchingbrooke Hospital, Huntingdon, I was appointed as a Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon. I have an elective and emergency practice sub-specialising in shoulder and elbow surgery. My particular interests include open and arthroscopic shoulder surgery for conditions, such as rotator cuff tears, recurrent instability and dislocated acromio-clavicular joints. I am experienced and perform all types of shoulder replacement. Additionally, I am the clinical governance lead at Hinchingbrooke Hospital, where I received a clinical excellence award (in 2017) for developing and delivering state of the art shoulder and elbow service.
I underwent my basic medical training at Christian Medical College (1987-1993) in India. I spent 2 years working there as a medical officer in rural mission hospitals (1993-1995), before further pursuing higher surgical training as a specialist registrar in Trauma & Orthopaedics (1995-1998). I worked at Christian Medical College, adopting multiple academic positions, such as that of a Senior Registrar, Lecturer & Reader of Orthopaedics; as well as practicing and training medical students and specialist registrars (1999-2004). I trained in Yeovil (2004 – 2007) and obtained the FRCS in Trauma and Orthopaedics.
MBBS - 1993
MS Orth- 1998
FRCS Tr & Orth - 2007
Advanced surgical fellowship in shoulder & elbow surgery - Avon Orthopaedic Centre, Southmead Hospital, Bristol (2013).
I did my advanced surgical fellowship in shoulder & elbow surgery at the Avon Orthopaedic Centre, Southmead Hospital, Bristol (2013).
Research & Publications
I actively participate in research and have 28 Orthopaedic publications in national and international peer reviewed journals and 26 (combined) oral and poster presentations to learned Orthopaedic societies. I review scientific articles for “Shoulder & Elbow” and “Indian Journal of Orthopaedics” which are reputed international journals.
I regularly audit my practice to deliver high quality and safe care to all my patients. I have performed 12 audits of Orthopaedic practice. My recent audits include “Safe surgical site marking” and “Quality of operation notes”.
I am an MRCS OSCE examiner for the Royal College of Surgeons of England. Due to this, I frequently examine both internationally and within the UK.
I am married with two young daughters and live in Milton Keynes. I speak English and Hindi fluently. I enjoy spending time with my young family, swimming, travelling and listening to music.
• British Shoulder & Elbow Society (BESS)
• Royal College of Surgeons of England
• American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS)
• Indian Orthopaedic Association (IOA)
• Medical Protection Society (MPS)
Hinchingbrooke Hospital & Doddington Hospital, North West Anglia NHS Foundation Trust