VNUS Closure Procedure
This new ’key-hole’ alternative to traditional Surgical vein stripping involves heating and closing the vein from within, using radiofrequency energy. This is usually performed whilst you are awake under local anaesthetic on a walk in walk out basis, although it can also be performed under general anaesthetic. Your consultant will discuss the options with you at your consultation.
Before the procedure the consultant will use an ultrasound machine to scan and mark the position of the end of the vein in the groin. You will then enter the treatment room or operating theatre and local anaesthetic injected. A special catheter is then inserted into the vein through a small 2-3mm cut just below the knee.
Once positioned, radiofrequency energy is gently delivered to seal and shut the faulty vein. A small dressing is applied, along with a special compression stocking which you will need to wear for the next 7 to 10 days. Following this procedure most people have an instant relief of symptoms.
The VNUS Closure® procedure generally takes around 30 – 40 minutes, and following this you will normally be free to leave after in as little as an hour. Your consultant will discuss this with you at your consultation.
The benefits of VNUS Closure® Procedure over more traditional surgical stripping approach are believed to be:
- Minimal need to take any pain relief medication following the procedure
- Less bruising and discomfort
- You will generally be back to normal activities within a day.
- Key-hole technique - there are no incisions in the groin area
- Shorter stay in Hospital & can be performed without a general anaesthetic
The benefits of The VNUS Closure® procedure over endovenous laser treatment are believed to be:
- Minimal pain and bruising due to more gentle vein heating
- Reduced requirement for pain killers.
- Faster return to normal activities
However The VNUS Closure® Procedure is not appropriate for all patients or performed in all Vive Life Care Hospitals.