In this Section
In this Section
Find a hospital in your area for weight lossSearch Now
Aftercare & Support
Weight loss surgery is the first part of a long process, aftercare is the key to your success.Find Out More
Is Weight Loss Surgery Right For You?
Weight loss surgery can help many people but it is not recommended for everyone.Find Out More
In the UK, the National Institute of Clinical Excellence (NICE) have published criteria for those considering weight loss surgery .National Institute for Clinical Excellence
In order to be eligible you must:
- Be over the age of 18
- Demonstrate that all appropriate and available non-surgical measures have been adequately tried but have failed to maintain weight loss
- Have a genuine desire to overcome your obesity problems and demonstrate full commitment to finally getting your weight under control
- Fully understand both the benefits and the risks of weight loss surgery
- Have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 35 to 39 with other obesity related health problems
- Have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 40 or above Calculate your body mass index (BMI) here
You should not drive for 2-3 days after surgery.
It is important you understand the risks associated with weight loss surgery. Your surgeon will make sure you are fully informed and committed to make changes before you sign terms and conditions.
Obesity is a disease, being seriously overweight is a great risk to your health, surgery does carry risks, however, far outweighs the risk of you doing nothing.
Laparoscopic weight loss surgery carries some risks and complications but on the whole is regarded as a much safer procedure with a quicker recovery rate and reduced pain, infection risk and anaesthetic time than that of open surgery.
See weight loss procedures we offer for further information on the risks associated with each weight loss surgical procedure.
Following your surgery you will be asked to follow a post operative regime to allow the stomach to recover from surgery and to enable your body to adjust to a new digestive process.
Knowing what to eat is one thing…. Being able to do it can be a whole different ball game….. you will start to eat normal food again , albeit smaller portions. You will also need to make some changes to your eating habits.
We know how challenging this can be.
99.9% of the patients we see did not get to the weight they were before their operations because they were hungry!
We truly understand how and why some people ‘use’ food as a crutch and know that this has nothing to do with greed and gluttony.
Our Health educators and Dieticians actually do ‘get’ where you’re coming from and are passionate about supporting you through your journey, understanding your needs, and getting you through those days when you really feel you can’t cope on this roller coaster journey.
0808 278 1276
Talk to one of our dedicated weight loss enquiry handlers
Or Send us a message...
Spread the cost of your treatment
- Fixed monthly payments over a term that enables you to budget
- Loan money paid directly to Ramsay Health Care
- A loan designed to put more expensive health procedures within easier reach
- Simple Online application
Why We're Different
- Access to a team of specialist bariatric nurses – expert medical advice and regular medical reviews
- Access to the hospital out of hours service
- Access to a dietician - expert nutritional advice on making the most of the procedure you have chosen to have
- 2 x-ray adjustments and up to 6 clinical adjustments
- Access to your surgeon as clinically indicated
- Access to support groups for patients
Weight Loss Blog
Keep up to date with the latest Ramsay Health Care weight loss blogs
Weight loss surgery is used as a treatment for patients who are obese & requires a life-long commitment to weight loss - several factors your bariatric surgeon will asses before recommending itContinue Reading
A small guide to help people understand the length of time it will take for them to see results after bariatric surgery.Continue Reading
Following your gastric sleeve surgery, your eating habits and portion size will change dramatically.Continue Reading
All you need to know about pre and post-operative diets for vegetarian, vegan or gluten free patients to follow before & after the weight loss surgeryContinue Reading